As today’s threat landscape continues to grow more complex, managing your organization’s security posture is no easy task.
Setting up a powerful data platform like Splunk Cloud or Splunk Enterprise is a great step in the right direction. But is it enough?
For leaders who want to truly make the most out of their Splunk investment, we find that it’s essential to invest in a few Splunk premium apps. Doing so will drastically improve the efficiency and accuracy of your security operations and free up hundreds of hours each year for your security operations team.
In this article, we’ll provide an overview of the three best Splunk premium apps for simplifying and strengthening security. We’ll break down what they are, what they do, and how they can benefit your organization.
Splunk Enterprise Security (ES)
Splunk Enterprise Security (ES) is Splunk’s data-centric security information and event management (SIEM) solution.
Like all SIEM solutions, Splunk ES focuses on aggregating and correlating log and event data. It pulls data from every corner of your hardware and applications, providing full visibility into your security environment and allowing you to detect potential threats before they become disruptive.
Compared to other SIEMs, Splunk ES is one of the most advanced options. It contains unparalleled search and reporting capabilities, advanced analytics, integrated intelligence, and intuitive prepackaged security content. The Splunk ES platform is also extremely open and scalable, something many other SIEMs struggle with.
Splunk ES might be right for you if you’re looking to:
- Monitor all corners of your security environment
- Quickly detect and analyze threats
- Gain access to pre-packaged dashboards and alerting
- Conduct efficient multi-step investigations
- Gain actionable security suggestions
- Be scalable and agile in the face of evolving threats
Splunk User Behavior Analytics (UBA)
Splunk User Behavior Analytics (UBA) is a premium app that integrates with Splunk ES to provide deeper insights into user-behavior-based threats, such as insider attacks or compromised accounts.
UBA works by establishing a baseline level of user activity and then monitoring for deviations from this baseline. Once a deviation is detected, alerts are sent out for further investigation.
Like Splunk ES, Splunk UBA is a leader among UBA/UEBA software. Some of its strengths include unsupervised machine learning, a streamlined threat workflow, advanced visualization of threats over a kill chain, user feedback learning, dynamic peer group analyses, and simplified, automated incident investigations.
Splunk UBA might be right for you if you’re looking to:
- Detect advanced behavior-related threats that traditional security tools miss
- Significantly reduce the risk of internal attacks
- Increase productivity by simplifying and automating incident investigations
Splunk Security Orchestration, Automation, and Response (SOAR)
Splunk Security Orchestration, Automation, and Response (SOAR) is a Splunk premium app that integrates with Splunk ES to orchestrate and automate threat responses.
While Splunk ES and Splunk UBA focus on detecting threats, Splunk SOAR focuses on actually doing something about them. SOAR reads threat data from all different sources and automates routine responses to them, freeing up a huge amount of time for your security team.
Splunk SOAR is truly a game-changer when it comes to the efficiency and accuracy of your security operations. By allowing you to consolidate multi-step threat responses into singular automated actions, you can save up to 35 hours a week and rest assured that your threats are being properly addressed.
Splunk SOAR might be right for you if you’re looking to:
- Automate your workflow and establish repeatable procedures
- Execute actions across security and IT tools in seconds, not hours
- Lessen the need for human involvement and free up dozens of hours
- Gain access to 100 pre-made playbooks and built-in threat intelligence
Get Started Today
As one of North America’s largest Splunk services teams, SP6 has a proven track record of helping organizations drive results through Splunk. To learn more about Splunk premium apps or to schedule a one-one-on consultation with one of our experts, contact us today.
SP6 is a niche technology firm advising organizations on how to best leverage the combination of big data analytics and automation across distinct (3) practice areas:
- Cybersecurity Operations and Cyber Risk Management (including automated security compliance and security maturity assessments)
- Fraud detection and prevention
- IT and DevOps Observability and Site Reliability
Each of these distinct domains is supported by SP6 team members with subject matter expertise in their respective disciplines.